Barn chores (and the wound again)

Front Pasture In spring

Curious what the morning work looks like at the farm?

Right now there are only 7 horses at the barn, lowest number so far, but strangely their routines never seem to get easier. Mainly because of the far walking distances. Castle Rock farm is on 18 acres total – lots of time spent going back and forth, although not over all the 18 acres.

On my work days I try to get up by 5 am to have at least one hour out there without extreme heat. Winter time 6 am is enough but sometimes ends up feeling short on time.

Early morning the drive takes only 25 minutes so I usually arrive by 6 am. 4 horses are inside the barn at night; they are all grained and hayed inside there first.

I walk grain and hay out to two separate back pastures, apply fly masks/or blankets, check and fill water and trudge around both fields to move irrigation sprinklers.

Back to the barn to refill grain and hay for another, third, outside resident, and then a little track down to his pasture. Again filling water, but usually no sprinkler to move out there.

Then down to the arena field, carry out two separate sprinkler heads to water the arena, move and turn off the third large sprinkler standing in the grass there (or the pressure is not enough for good coverage.). This one has to be turned back on after all is done, another trip.

As the colts are turned out into the arena grass field after I’m done riding, I check their water there too.

Next turn my horse out. Usually his field sprinkler is only run while grooming and riding – keeps him cleaner that way.  Check and clean water his water troth, and clean his stall and pipe pen.

By now it’s usually 7.15 am. I take out Cooper to groom and ride. Before heading out I hike down the hill to turn off the two arena sprinklers and drag them out with their long hoses separately, as well as turn on the big one, of course on the other side of the fields, again.

Ride, tack off, and rinse – then Cooper goes in his stall to eat supplements and hay.

Jaworzno comes in for the same routine, although I don’t redo the entire sprinkler process.

Now it’s 11 am. Jaworzno eats in his stall to dry out for half an hour before going out in pasture.  I lead Cooper down to his turnout down the hill, bringing his hay with me at the same time to save time.

Back up again, I halter each colt individually and take them pasture.

After cleaning and bedding the three remaining stalls and pipe pens, Jaworzno’s pasture sprinkler is turned off, fly mask on, and he goes out for the day.

Next is blowing the barn aisle with the blower, putting out barn fly pellets (they kill the few barn flies we have), pick up all gear I’ve tossed all over the place, and do crazy stuff like cutting myself on baling twine.
With some luck, absolutely nothing going wrong, nothing breaking – such as irrigation hoses popping off – I’m done by 12 noon.
If I don’t clean tack.
That has only happened once. Usually, it’s more around 1 or 1.30 pm,

A colt will escape, something brakes or falls down, or I spend too much time on cleaning and organizing.

Sort of a lengthy process.  Still reasonable for getting the barn done and working two horses.  I hope to get even faster!  Any tips welcome!

Here’s Cooper’s scrape on day 7 – he’s going to be just fine!

The scrape on day 7
Ridden him twice already – a relief to find it was all superficial.